Printer Friendly Version
April 27, 2014
Noon to 4:00 pm
We are all responsible for caring for our natural environment. This has been the concept of Earth Day since its beginning in 1970. Lake Metroparks continues that focus with its Earth Day events to celebrate our successes that help the Earth, and make a commitment to learn and use new ways to make our planet a healthier place. Join in the fun of with hands-on activities, eco-fairs, and demonstrations focusing on conservation efforts to help protect the Earth.
Paint a rain barrel
Discover what you can do to help the environment and learn valuable tips as you participate in hands-on activities during the Earth Day event at Penitentiary Glen Reservation.
- ECO-FAIR - Interact with representatives from 16 local agencies, organizations, and groups focused on conservation and the environment.
- Earth without Art is just “Eh” craft. Artwork will be pieced together to be displayed in the Nature Center in the near future.
- I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE TRAIL – Self guided with informative and fun stations geared towards learning what you can do to help the environment. A free tree sapling will be given to those who complete the trail.
- Paint a rain barrel – Back by popular demand – visitors can help paint a rain barrel using the pointillism technique. The winner of a free drawing gets to take the rain barrel home!
- Meet native Ohio wildlife in our Wildlife Center yard and along the train line. A naturalist will share interesting animal stories and answer questions in the Wildlife Center yard.
- Haircut-a-thon – Ladies & Gentlemen Salon & Spa will be on site to give $10 haircuts, first-come, first-served. The money raised will benefit Penitentiary Glen Nature Center.
- WELW 1330 AM will be on site for your entertainment.
- Explore nature in the park – self-guided on our trail system (some trails suitable for strollers).
- Train rides –Ride the miniature trains between 1 and 3 pm, weather permitting, provided by the Lake Shore Live Steamers.
Admission: Free for all ages!
Penitentiary Glen Reservation is located at 8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd in
Take I-90 to Rt. 306 south for about one mile. Turn left onto Rt. 615. Turn right (east) onto Kirtland-Chardon Road and continue for two miles. Penitentiary Glen Reservation is located on the right (south) side of the road.
Back to top
Good Nature Organic Lawn Care
Renewal by Andersen
Media support from
County Kids Magazine
Today’s Family Magazine
Back to top
More Lake Metroparks events