941 Dock Rd.
Madison Township, OH 44057
Lon: 81° 0' 29.023" W
Lat: 41° 50' 55.973" N
Arcola Creek Park is a place where the fresh waters of the creek mix with the waves of Lake Erie. It is one of the last remaining natural estuaries in Ohio. Steelhead trout spawn and migratory birds find shelter here. The Nature Conservancy, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, and Friends of Arcola Creek (a Lake County preservation group) have all been instrumental in the preservation of the natural refuge.
The town of Ellensburg was built at the junction of Arcola Creek and Lake Erie.
It was a thriving community of ship builders, fishermen and commerce. The Arcole Iron Works was located south of the mouth of the creek (then called Cunningham Creek after Captain John Cunningham who purchased property there in the early 1800s). Arcole Iron Works was, at one time, the largest industry in Ohio. Bog iron, discovered in Madison Township near North Ridge Road
in 1812, and the abundance of timber provided the raw materials for iron furnaces. Iron stoves, kettles, hollowware, and other heavy castings were made at the foundry.
Lake Metroparks now manages 153 acres of land called Arcola Creek Park through an agreement with the Lake County Commissioners.
Ticks have been found in this park and are part of the natural environment.
Click here for information.
Arcola Creek has 153 acres with a picnic area, access to the Lake Erie shoreline, an observation deck and portable restrooms.
Take Rt. 20 to Dock Road and go north for
Arcola Creek Park is located on the right (east).